WELCOME TO MY NEW BLOG

Hi this is my second blog, for my Occupational Therapy studies. This blog is for Participation in Occupation 2 it is a bit different to the last as I will be talking with you about Scrapbooking which is an Occupation that I love participating in when I get a chance. For this blog we were told to think of something we could spend 2 hours a week doing, and then journal our experiences of it. Consequently I thought of scrapbooking as it is something I love participating in, and would do anything to have some time for it, during my busy life. In this first week I will also go into a little more depth and talk about what it means to me, as an occupation and how I might be able to use it in the future with my Occupational Therapy work. As part of these blogs I will also talk about ambience, affordance, ergonomics and practical uses in Occupational Therapy.

Thursday 8 September 2011

My scrapbooking history

Hi, my first blog is all about my past experience of scrapbooking. When I think about my experience of scrapbooking, it started in primary school, when I would stick pictures – usually of animals I loved, or newspaper clippings we had to put in our school scrapbooks. I remember doing this type of scrapbooking right throughout my schooling years, although not so much in secondary school.
Scrapbooking is something I have been doing in some form all my life. When I finished secondary school scrapbooking for me was in the form of a normal old photography album, with photos of special moments or occasions that occurred. 

I am a crafter at heart, and saw a scrapbooking course, so went and learnt, many different styles of scrapbooking to display my treasured photos and memorabilia. I was hooked and wanted to do more. My first scrapbook was of, The Berwick outdoor experience camp which changed my life.
This was me on the Mahinerangi Dam wall, I did it. :-)

So it’s cool, having a scrapbook of my experience, to go back through, when I am not feeling so confident, because it shows, I can do anything – even abseil down a dam, and I have the scrapbook album to prove it. 
"A memory is a way of holding onto things you love, the things you are, and the things you never want to lose."
Kimberly,Ann.B. N.p.: The Wonder Years,n.d. N. pag.Web. 4 Oct.2011. <http://www.scrapbooking.com/quotes/doc>.

 For me scrapbooking is great. I love it because I find it very relaxing and therapeutic designing and laying out pages that show my photographed memories in a safe way that is going to keep people looking at them for hours.
Some practical considerations about scrapbooking are that you need plenty of room, so you can spread out all your equipment and have enough room to work. Scrapbooking can be as cheap or expensive as you like depending on your budget.
Scrapbooking could be used as an Occupational Therapy process for assessing peoples cognitive processing, and physical abilities, such as fine motor body functions.  


No comments:

Post a Comment