WELCOME TO MY NEW BLOG

Hi this is my second blog, for my Occupational Therapy studies. This blog is for Participation in Occupation 2 it is a bit different to the last as I will be talking with you about Scrapbooking which is an Occupation that I love participating in when I get a chance. For this blog we were told to think of something we could spend 2 hours a week doing, and then journal our experiences of it. Consequently I thought of scrapbooking as it is something I love participating in, and would do anything to have some time for it, during my busy life. In this first week I will also go into a little more depth and talk about what it means to me, as an occupation and how I might be able to use it in the future with my Occupational Therapy work. As part of these blogs I will also talk about ambience, affordance, ergonomics and practical uses in Occupational Therapy.

Thursday 6 October 2011

My last scrapbooking session

Yesterday I had the whole day off studies so i decided the night before I would do some scrapbooking. I awoke really early and was excited about my chance to get lots of pages done.
I got up and ready for my day and by this stage my flatmates had left for work, great I wouldn’t get in anyone’s way.
I brought all my equipment out into the lounge and set it out on the table. I then put the stereo on and paused to listen, yeah that channel will do, it seems to be playing good music.
I then started looking at all my photos that I had to use and the last page I had done, this album is of my first nephew Toby’s life – from birth till the present day, and I plan to keep adding to it over the years. 


The last page was of his fifth day of life with us, and it didn’t have many photos on it, but I’ve got so many photos of his sixth day, as it was the day that he went home, um how would I display them all, to get the full impact of the importance of that day?
I thought about it for a minute, and decided that I wanted to use all the photos.  I had about thirty, and would do them in a grid style, over two adjoining pages, with the title centred at the top of both pages and a photo on either side of it. The rest of the photos would be in a grid style underneath it. I decided the quickest way would be to use stick-on letters for the title, and would use blue card to display them on, as that was the colour seen the least in the photos, and would bring those colours out more, making it more dramatic and eye catching.
By this stage I had quite a little mess of scrap paper, and pieces of photograph going on all around me, so I went and got my rubbish bin, and got rid of the rubbish so I would have more space to work in, and wouldn’t feel so cluttered.  
The next step was to get out my grid page layout template, and start cutting the photos, so they would fit on the page, with little borders of blue, around each photo. I started by sticking one photo, on each side of the title, and then measured a small border pace between the title row, and the next line down where photos, would be placed. I started sticking all the photos on, working from left to right till I got to the other side of pages, and then started the whole process again of sticking photos from left to right with a little border of blue around each photo till the pages was full, and all the photos were used.  Wow that looks really great, and look how cute Toby is in all those photos, I like my page design, and the way I was able to use all the photos, and not have to waste any.
Something important to remember is that through  my scrapbooks I am able to show all the aspects that make my pages so meaningful.

M. Toomey states this well in the following quote -"To be creative and give full expression to the work, all aspects of the person must be engaged: the physical, the intellectual, the emotional, and the spiritual. Each aspect opens up a door to the other. Creativity makes the access through the doorway to the spirit easier" 

I put that page by the window so it would dry faster, and then went onto the next page.
Toby’s seventh day, what photos have I got for today? how will I display them?? I kept doing pages like this for the next few hours and a few more pages done which I was excited about and happy when my flatmates got home from work so then I could show off my creative efforts of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment